Monday, May 31, 2010

some things

today was a good day. I wake up every day with nothing to do and then I do whatever I want. it’s liberating. I met up with alex, pat and teddy for lunch/fruit smoothies in boston. gorgeous day, even with the eerie, invasive cloud of smoke from Québec, even though we didn’t stick around long enough to see dave the street magician deep throat a three-foot balloon.

the bp oil spill is really upsetting me. the people who like to defend big corrupt corporations (republicans; I don’t care who I’m stereotyping/offending) are attempting to blame the EPA for forcing oil companies to drill so far offshore, since the spill would be easier to contain if it weren't 5,000 feet beneath the ocean's surface. this logic makes no sense. if you break a rule, you don’t blame the outcome on the existence of the rule, unless the rule isn’t justified, and I’m sure this one is, for obvious reasons. the fact of the matter is that bp had hundreds of violations that they ignored in the interest of saving money, at the expense of the employees who died, and also at the expense of the entire eastern seaboard, potentially. and I don’t understand the logic behind this “cap” plan. putting a “cap” on the well sounds a lot like putting a “dome” on the well, which they already did, which failed. think about it: cap. dome. see what I mean? (maybe it’s the companion underwater robot that distinguishes the cap from the dome!) also, I think a more viable option would be to block the well with all of bp’s cash and ceos. also, also, also. I can’t even think about it, it fills me with the type of anger I can’t do anything with.
so...
old fav.:

No comments:

Post a Comment